Search This Blog

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Ask Mama Tao-Midwife/Medwife?

 
 
Dear Mama Tao:

I am soooooooooooooooo angry right now.  Simply because my blood pressure has been running at 160/115, my feet are swollen to the size of soccer balls, and my urine is coffee colored, my DEM wanted me to transfer to an OB's care.  Really????  I couldn't believe she didn't know that swelling and rising pressures in the third trimester are both usual, and "preeclampsia" is nothing but a variation of normal (and probably even psychosomatic to begin with).  Besides, I've been faithfully following the Brewer Diet, so I know I'm perfectly healthy.  Serves me right, I guess, for not trusting birth enough and giving in to the intervention of blood pressure checks.  Live and learn.  My next birth experience will be perfect.  Anyway, of course I fired this woman on the spot, having revealed her true identity as a medwife by trying to rob me of my home birth and my CHOICE.  Did I do the right thing?  I can't help but think I should have done more to prevent her from harming other women with her misinformation and medicalization of birth.  How would you have handed the situation yourself?

Signed, 

Seething in Seattle
 
Dear Seething in Seattle,
I hate to tell you like it is, but that is usually the case with these Midwives/Medwives. Any time you have someone other than you interfering with your birth, you are just asking for trouble. The problem is that most Midwives had a certain “Moral” code and don't want to be responsible for the loss of your baby. There are very few true midwives who are willing to let your baby die, simply so you can have the hands off birth you want. They are special people and are few and far between.
You asked how I would handle such a situation and the only advice I can give you is to be very tricky with your next labor (and you will have to have another baby to make up for the distress of this pregnancy).
Early on in your pregnancy I suggest you place a decoy in the road to make sure your midwife is not indeed a medwife in disguise!
One of the easiest tests to foil is the blood glucose test given at around 20 weeks to scan for Gestational diabetes. Eating the entire time you are supposed to be fasting and then eating during the waiting times between tests should make the results look pretty scary. I suggest you throw the test and see how your midwife reacts.
If she says, “Holy Shit, you need insulin!” then you need to drop her like she’s hot.
If she says that diabetes is a normal part of pregnancy and living then you know you can trust her—and the 20-60 remaining weeks of pregnancy you have left can be with a midwife who deserves your attention!

3 comments:

  1. I have learned that trickery is always the best policy when it comes to "medical care." They won't be honest with us, so why should we be honest with them?

    Sending positive baby vibes your way. You go, Mama!

    (((((((((((((Seething in Seattle)))))))))))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crunchmaster FlashMarch 21, 2011 at 7:19 AM

    Real mamas don't use midwives anyway. UC! UC! UC!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oaktree CherryblossomApril 10, 2011 at 7:08 AM

    Oh and next they will tell you that you will go into kidney failure and need dialysis and even have a seizure. Such fear mongerers. Next will come the 'dead baby card'. Protect thyself be the power of trusting your body. Your body never fucks up!!

    ReplyDelete